To plan a trip, you need to correctly organize all the details, from the suitcase to the itinerary, so that nothing goes wrong. After all, if there is a time when stress is unwanted, this would be a good example.
Traveling is synonymous with leisure and fun, but responsibilities should not be ignored. Therefore, all preparation must be handled carefully and safely.
It was with this in mind that we decided to create this post. In it, we will address a very important subject when it comes to travel: insurance. In addition to other issues, we will point out the differences between travel insurance and credit card insurance.
Interested and want to stay on top of everything? So, keep reading!
What is travel insurance?
Generally, this type of insurance offers compensation in the event of events that expose travelers to some risk. And, with the constant evolution of the market, insurers are increasingly seeking personalized service — according to the profile of their customers and the demands they make.
As mentioned, the continuous development of the segment has favored the creation of specific coverages that seek to meet the individual needs of each consumer. For this reason, it is worth consulting the insurance available and never failing to hire them when necessary.
Nowadays, the contractual conditions are broad and are able to offer many possibilities of protection to the contractors. The prices are also interesting and affordable — varying according to the type of contract and the number of days of the trip.
In this way, it is important to remember that, even when everything is planned in detail, it is always good to be prepared: if unforeseen events happen, it is better to err on the side of excess rather than lack of prudence.
What are the basic coverages of this service?
Maybe that’s the question you’re asking right now. After all, it is quite natural that you want to know why it is so important to acquire insurance guarantees.
In this topic, we will identify the main coverages provided for in the contractual clauses. Are they:
- medical, hospital and dental expenses on national or international travel
- compensation for total or impartial disability caused by a travel accident;
- compensation for death in travel caused by natural or accidental causes;
- payment of medical transfer expenses;
- coverage of expenses in cases of medical return;
It is worth noting that in international travel, coverage related to medical, hospital and dental care is required to cover expenses both in situations of personal accidents and in situations of acute illness – respecting the contracted amount limit.
Another important point concerns assistance in the case of diseases that are already diagnosed, as it is common for insurers to define urgent and emergency occasions in order to avoid further inconvenience.
Pre-existing comorbidities are typically considered a risk that is not covered by coverage. However, in order to formalize this information, the insurer must require a health certificate from the insured, otherwise there will be nothing to dispute.
After all, what is credit card insurance?
Well, initially, let’s clarify that the travel insurance and credit card insurance that we are referring to cover the same type of service: hiring support and assistance for risky travel situations.
However, the insurance offered by credit cards may be more limited and can only be purchased when tickets are purchased on the card. Meanwhile, insurance brokers and agencies offer the possibility of contracting a broader and more adequate insurance to the client’s interests.
There are some card companies that already have these plans in their services. Examples of this are Master Platinum or Black cards and also Visa Infinite or Platinum. However, as already mentioned, the tickets must be purchased there and the traveler cannot forget to confirm if the benefit is really available and what are the values, limits of each coverage. Read the contract!
What are the differences between travel insurance and card insurance?
Basically, the main difference will be the limitations between the scope of assistance services of both modalities. In any case, it is important to compare and define which one will be the most suitable for your interest.
This analysis will allow you to decide which is more interesting for you: a contract made directly with a broker or the contract on the card. In the second option, the values established as limits may not be sufficient for all needs. For this reason, carry out a careful search.
Furthermore, the coverage provided by the cards offers a maximum travel time of 30 or 60 days. Therefore, for those who intend to carry out a longer script, this may not be the best option. In such cases, more personalized plans are suggested — an advantage that only brokers have mastered.
What are the benefits of travel insurance from a broker?
After evaluating the conditions of insurance offered by credit cards, it’s time to learn about the benefits of a contract carried out by a specialized agency or brokerage.
This option is often the most recommended by specialists, as, in addition to providing basic advice, it can go further and offer extra resources to those who are going to travel and want to feel safe — whatever their destination.
In order to guarantee and preserve the contractor’s total practicality and protection, insurance companies not only provide essential packages, but also additional coverage, such as compensation for lost or damaged luggage, compensation for funeral expenses, assistance for cancellation of trip and also assistance when there is a need for an early return.
However, there are more additional choices and varying coverage limits. The range of options has plans defined by the profile of the traveler and also by the destination of the tour. They can vary, depending on the plan chosen, from USD 15,000 to USD 200,000
What are the assistance alternatives offered by travel insurance?
Of course, although there are many coverage alternatives , they will not always be necessary and mandatory. Therefore, it is important that you know all the possibilities so that you can define which ones meet your demands.
For this reason, here, we will identify which coverages are available. In the same way, it is also possible to consult an insurance broker or travel agency to assist you in this task. See below:
- payment of bail or legal expenses for cases of arrest or detention;
- advice for transmitting urgent messages;
- assistance in returning and locating luggage;
- payment of legal fees when the traveler requests legal assistance;
- reimbursement for room and board costs when there are delays of more than 18 hours;
- offer of airfare (round trip) for an adult who will accompany a child under 14 years of age due to an accident or unexpected illness;
- providing an air ticket to the insured who is unable to continue his journey;
- reimbursement of money, in case of interruption of trip, motivated by personal accident, illness or death of family member;
- refund of deposit when the contracting party cannot start the trip due to death, illness or accident of family members or dependents — informed within 48 hours to the insurer;
- payment for the transfer of the body which includes release, passage and embalming;
- full coverage of the contracting party’s medical repatriation to a hospital in their place of residence;
- payment of the insured person’s transfer to a hospital, after first aid treatment;
- compensation for damage to luggage through a supporting report;
- compensation for loss, theft, robbery and destruction of luggage that is under the responsibility of the carrier and that must also be proven. In this case, the amount paid will refer to the weight and not to the contents of the bag;
- payment of accommodation for up to 10 days for the insured’s companion in cases of hospital removal – notify the insurance company;
- compensation for the purchase of an air ticket in the country of origin for the person indicated by the insured, in cases of prolonged hospitalization monitoring — prior communication is required;
- reimbursement for hotel accommodation of up to 10 days for an extension of stay — do not forget to present the medical certificate;
- payment of medication expenses made after presentation of a medical prescription;
- payment for emergency dental treatment caused by illness or accidents;
- payment of physiotherapy recommended for the treatment of injuries caused during the trip and indicated by the doctor who treated the insured;
- reimbursement of health expenses — without considering pre-existing illnesses.
Are there differences between national and international travel insurance?
No, however, in the case of domestic trips, the minimum distance required for contracting is 100 kilometers between the traveler’s origin and destination.
However, for some international trips, it is mandatory. 27 European countries require tourists to have insurance coverage equivalent to 30 thousand euros.
Outside this axis, it is worth mentioning the United Arab Emirates, Cuba, Turkey and Qatar as countries that also require assistance.
To help with your schedule, we’ve listed the nations on the European continent that require insurance. Are they:
- Czech republic
Who can hire the service?
It is common for travel insurance contracts to be based on the same conditions as life insurance. As such, many agencies set age limits that range their permits from 65 to 70 years old.
However, there are personalized companies that already offer services with special plans that provide assistance to people over the aforementioned limits.
For children under 14, the limitation occurs only in cases of funeral expenses or accidents, and compensation only occurs upon presentation of documents proving the expenses.
Are there risks that are not covered by travel insurance?
This is a very important issue that should have the traveler’s attention, as this will ensure that unwanted surprises cause more problems.
The occasions not foreseen in the contractual clauses are called excluded risks. Thus, when closing a contract, be aware of such regulations, thus avoiding financial losses.
The main excluded risks are as follows:
- services requested by the contractor without authorization from the insurer;
- compensation for damages, loss or violation of objects that are inside the luggage;
- treatment in cases of epidemics, endemics or pandemics;
- medical care coverage if the insured has practiced a high-risk activity without skill;
- payment of expenses with physiotherapy, dental or medical treatments that are considered routine;
- assistance for psychiatric treatments;
- coverage for accidents caused by handling nuclear material or similar;
- assistance for involvement in wars, riots or rebellions;
- when injuries or deaths result from crime or misbehavior;
- when illnesses or accidents are caused by the use of drugs or alcohol;
- coverage for damages arising from malpractice, recklessness, negligence or irresponsibility while driving a car;
- in cases of events related to natural phenomena, such as earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, hurricanes, tidal waves, among others;